What next if you lose passport with US visa?



Official travel documents that foreign citizens coming to the United States (U.S.) must have in their possession are passports, Visas, and Arrival-Departure Records (Form I-94 and I-94W). They will help to show their country of citizenship and legal status in the U.S. As soon as possible after their arrival in the U.S. travelers should make a copy of their passport biographic page, U.S. visa and Form I-94.

You can remain for the duration of your authorized stay, as shown on your Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94) if you are a foreign citizen temporarily in the U.S. and you lose your U.S. visa. You will need a valid passport to depart the U.S. and to enter another country. To document that you are departing by the required date I-94 is needed as you depart the U.S. You must get them replaced immediately if passport with your I-94 are lost or stolen.

Following steps should be taken:

Report it to police:

Go to the local police station and report your document(s) lost or stolen. You will need to provide copies of the original documents if available,. You will be issued a police report detailing the incident. For your own records don’t forget to make an extra copy of the report.

Lost/Stolen Arrival-Departure Record replacement

Replacement of a lost or stolen Form I-94 falls under the responsibility of Department of Homeland Security (DHS). One needs to file Form I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Document to file for a replacement of I-94, at the DHS U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and see Arrival-Departure Record at the DHS, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website.

To your embassy report passport lost/stolen

For information on the procedure to replace a lost or stolen passport contact the local Embassy or consular section for the country of your citizenship. Most countries have Internet web sites with contact information.

To US embassy abroad report your visa lost/stolen

Fax the Consular Section or Consul General at the Embassy abroad which issued your visa to report your visa lost or stolen. Go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website to locate the fax number and contact information. Be sure to include your full name, place of birth, date of birth, address in the US and if available an e-mail address. Specifically state whether the visa was lost or stolen. Fax to the Embassy or consular section if you have a copy of the passport or visa. Otherwise, if known, report the category of visa and the passport number from the lost/stolen visa.

Please note that the visas will be invalid for future travel to the U.S., and you must apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate abroad for a new visa if you have already reported your visa lost/stolen to the U.S. Embassy abroad, and then you later find your misplaced visa.

Apply for a replacement US visa

For replacement of a visa you must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. Lost or stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced in the US. You will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa when applying for the replacement of a visa. Include a copy of the police report.


Leave a comment


  1. thanks for sharing such wonderful information…keep posting more such articles… lista de emails lista de emails lista de emails lista de emails lista de emails

  2. i read and understand the entire article and i really enjoyed it to be honest. lista de email lista de email lista de email lista de email lista de email


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: