Make sure departure from US is properly recorded!

It is possible that your departure from US was not recorded properly if you returned home with your Form I-94 (white) or, if you arrived by land under the Visa Waiver Program. Also applicable for Form I-94W (green) Departure Record in your passport.

It is not necessary to take any further action if you departed by a commercial air or sea carrier (airlines or cruise ships). Your departure from the U.S. can be independently verified. Although holding on to your outbound (from the U.S.) boarding pass can help facilitate your reentry next time you come back to the United States if you still have it.

You will need to take steps to correct the record if you departed by land, private vessel or private plane. If you do not validate your timely departure from the US, or, if you cannot reasonably prove you departed within the time frame given to you when you entered, the next time you apply for admission to the U.S., Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may conclude you remained in the U.S. beyond your authorized stay. If this happens, your visa may be subject to cancellation or you may be returned immediately to your foreign point of origin.

Without obtaining a visa from a U.S. Consulate under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), visitors who remain beyond their permitted stay in the US cannot reenter the U.S. in the future. So it is particularly important for you to register your timely departure if you are a Visa Waiver Program visitor who traveled by land to either Canada or Mexico for an onward flight, if your green I-94W was not taken when you exited the U.S. CBP Officers may order your immediate return to a foreign point of origin if you fail to do so and you arrive at a U.S. port of entry seeking admission under the Visa Waiver Program without a visa. You don’t need to worry if you are a VWP visitor and you left the U.S. by an air or sea carrier.

Along with any documentation that proves you left the US, if you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, to:


1084 South Laurel Road

London, KY 40744


Do not mail your Form I-94 Departure Record or supporting information to any U.S. Consulate or Embassy, to any other CBP Office in the United States, or to any address other than the one above. Only at this location are CBP able to make the necessary corrections to CBP records to prevent inconvenience to you in the future. The London, Kentucky office does not answer correspondence, so please do not ask for confirmation that your record has been updated.

Following information will also be required for validating departure by CBP:

  • if you flew home from elsewhere , such as Canada, original boarding passes you used to depart another country;
  • After you departed the US, photocopies of entry or departure stamps in your passport indicating entry to another country. Copies of passport pages that are not completely blank and the biographical page containing your photograph must be submitted; and
  • Photocopies of other supporting evidence, such as:
  1. To indicate you worked in another country after you departed the US dated pay slips or vouchers from your employer,
  2. To indicate you were in another country after you left the US dated bank records showing transactions,
  3. To indicate you were in another country after you left the US School records showing attendance at a school outside the US, and
  4. for purchases made after you left the United States to indicate you were in another country after leaving the US dated credit card receipts, showing your name, but, the credit card number deleted,

Please include an explanation letter in English to assist DHS in understanding the situation and correct your records quickly. Without supporting evidence such as noted above your statement will not be acceptable. Where possible you must mail legible copies or original materials. You should retain a copy if you send original materials. CBP cannot return original materials after processing.

The next time you come to the US and in case the CBP Officer has any questions about your eligibility to enter, CBP strongly urge you to keep a copy of what you send to DHS-CBP and carry it with you. Carrying those materials with you will also allow your record to be corrected at the time of entry if, for some reason, the London, Kentucky office has not yet done so.

Hold on to your I-94 or I-94 (W) issued for taking short trips (30 days or less) to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands during the course of your visit to the U.S since it should only be turned in when you leave the U.S. to return home.

Delays beyond the traveler’s control, such as cancelled or delayed flights, medical emergencies requiring a doctor’s care, etc. are not considered unauthorized overstays, however, you will need to bring proof of the cause of your overstay next time you travel to the U.S. in order for it to be forgiven. For airline delays, ask the airline for a letter affirming the delay or a copy of your cancelled boarding pass.

Leave a comment


  1. I will immediately grab your rss as I can’t find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

  2. Along with every thing which seems to be building throughout this specific subject matter, all your opinions happen to be fairly exciting. However, I appologize, but I can not give credence to your entire strategy, all be it exciting none the less. It would seem to me that your comments are actually not entirely rationalized and in simple fact you are generally your self not thoroughly certain of the assertion. In any event I did take pleasure in examining it.

  3. This is so informative!

    Just in case you need I-94 form or is looking for a way on how to electronically fill out PDF forms, let me share my experience with the site I’ve came across with that might help everyone.

    I was able to get the form through

    It allowed me to upload word and powerpoint to be converted to PDF. Let’s me fill out the form neatly and after either save, print, fax or SendtoSign the forms.

    Such a great experience!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: