Certificate of Citizenship is required to become a US citizen


Children born to U.S. citizen outside US can apply for citizenship. So proof of their US citizenship or nationality can be got by applying for certificate of citizenship. The fact that application for US citizenship takes a lot of time to be processed and may be main reason to make it difficult to get certificate of citizenship. To make it easy it might be even better to first get the passport to prove citizenship. If a parent is naturalized it’s easy to apply for certificate of citizenship since it’s easy and obvious to prove applicant’s claim to citizenship.

Who can file Form N-600?

Children born to or adopted by a US citizen automatically becomes a U.S. citizen if:

  • One of the parents is a U.S. citizen
  • Both you and your US citizen parent stay in US
  • As a adopted child if you have entered US as an IR-3 – child adopted outside the US and IR-4 if coming to US to be adopted, after adoption you can apply for certificate.
  • If you are below 18 years of age. Children above 18 years of age need to file INS N 400 Form.
  • A US citizen has the legal custody of you as his/her biological child not yet 16 years of age or born out of wedlock and have not been legitimated and through naturalization process mother is a US citizen.
  • In the US you have stayed consistently after becoming a permanent resident lawfully
  • The parent awarded legal and physical custody of you, both your parents or the only surviving parent is a U.S. citizen by naturalization.

Being the biological child of a U.S. citizen, born outside the U.S. and claiming citizenship by having been born to U.S. citizen parent(s), you automatically become a U.S. citizen at birth if:

  • Both the parents are U.S. Citizens and one of them resided in the U.S. Prior to your birth they should be residing; or
  • Even if one of your parents is a foreign national and other is an U.S. citizen who had physically been in the U.S. before your birth for a period or periods totaling not less than five years, of which at least two of those were after the parent’s age of 14 years.

To summarize Form N-600 can be filed if any one of the following conditions exists:

  • Individuals born outside the U.S., claiming to have U.S. citizenship by birth to a U.S. citizen parent.
  • Individuals born to a U.S. Citizen outside the U.S or who met all the requirements for becoming a U.S. Citizen prior to their 18th birthday.
  • Adopted or biological children under the age of 18 who meet the requirements for citizenship, the form N-600 application must be filed by the U.S. citizen parent or legal guardian who has been given legal and physical custody of the child.

How to apply?

Along with the Form N-600 and other documents, two identical US passport photographs need to be provided. The photos taken within past six months should show current appearance and be 2 x 2 inches in size. Photos should be front view of full face with an off-white or plain white background. You should remember that from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head it should measure between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches. Normal street attire is the dress code and not any uniform. A hat or headgear that conceals the hair or hairline should not be worn.  If normally you wear a wig, hearing device or prescription glasses for the picture you should have worn it.

Except for parents who are US citizens and requesting a Certificate of Citizenship for an adopted child the fee for Form N-600 is $600.  For U.S. citizen parents filing on behalf of an adopted minor child under Section 320 of the INA, the fee is $550.

A member or veteran of any branch of the United States Armed Forces need not pay fee for Form N-600 but must attach proof of service; otherwise USCIS will charge a fee to file the Form N-600. Money or checks should be made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. All the documents, photos and Form N-600 need to be submitted at the USCIS district or field office in the U.S. which caters your residence area.


Leave a comment


  1. Hi there you have a great site over here! Thanks for sharing this interesting stuff for us! If you keep up this good work I’ll visit your website again. Thanks!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: