Aware which INS forms is needed to report lost US passport?

The United States became the first country to introduce machine-readable passports in 1981.The Department of State started to issue passports with digital photos in 2000 and as of 2010, all previous series have expired. Responsibility for passport issuance lies with Passport Services within the Department of State, a unit of the Bureau of Consular Affairs.

To serve the general public services operates twenty-two regional passport agencies in the United States. The opening of public counters at the National Passport Center in New Hampshire and at the Arkansas Agency is the recent inclusions. Also the opening of New York’s second regional agency in Buffalo was in October 2010. Passport Services plans to open additionally regional agencies in El Paso, Texas, Atlanta, Georgia and San Diego, California in 2011. In most of these locations passport applications require citizens provide proof of travel within 14 days of the application date or who need to obtain foreign visas before traveling.

Designated by Passport Services there are about 9,000 acceptance facilities in the United States, at which routine passport applications may be filed. United States courts, state courts, post offices, public libraries, county offices and city offices are inclusive. For processing in the United States an application for a United States passport made abroad is forwarded by a U.S. embassy or consulate to Passport Services. INS forms required for new standard US passport is DS11, DS 82 for renewal and DS 64 for reporting lost. It takes approximately 4–6 weeks for regular processing in case of new passports.

With a valid US passport citizens can travel abroad and it’s considered as proof of one’s citizenship after Applying for US citizenship.  So replacement of a stolen or lost US passport becomes even more important. It’s necessary to report about it immediately before you apply for a new one. The fastest way would be over phone to call 1-877-487-2778, the Department of State.


Reporting Lost or Stolen Passport

The Form DS-64, Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport should be filled and submitted. Answers to all the questions should be in detail and as much as possible information about passport should be provided. Your US passport will be cancelled and cannot be used for international travel once you submit this form. In case you lose it or its stolen while you are outside US you need to report it to the closest embassy or consulate.

In case you get back your lost passport you need to send it to:

U.S. Department of State

Passport Services Consular Lost/Stolen Passport,

Section 1111 19th Street

NW, Suite 500

Washington, DC 20036

In order to avoid any identity fraud the passport will be cancelled and sent back or destroyed. Next, using Form DS-11 new passport should be applied. While filling this form special attention is required for Question #18.Make sure of the following:

  • Name should be filled as it appeared in your passport
  • Approximate date of issue is entered
  • Enter Passport number if you have made a note of it
  • Appropriate box should be marked under ‘DISPOSITION’
  • Write ‘EXPIRED’ if your passport has expired in the ‘OTHER’ box

Both the INS forms DS-64 and DS-11 need to be submitted together at a Passport acceptance facility or agency in person for processing. After a week you can tract status online about the applications.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: